Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Another Character Upgrade Done!

I've managed to finish another character redesign and this time I'd like to share what I've produced. One of the characters I've been working on lately was the goth girl in the cast, Mandy. She's already gone under a fair amount of changes prior to this particular redesign.
Before, she's had a extremely basic appearance.
Now let me say this: when I started these redesigns for all these characters, I've had to pay attention to fashion; I've downloaded/browsed tons of photos and pictures for references, capturing some little aspects here and there, and trying to work them into the designs of the other characters. That whole process was totally fun and all, but keep in mind that for the other characters in this group, they all dress fairly normal. Nothing to crazy or out there, to be honest; they're all normal people.

But when it came to work on Mandy, I had no idea Gothic fashion was this really crazy, interesting kind of fashion sense. I actually enjoyed kind of studying the look since a lot of it seemed like it was a costume of sorts, which is what I was rolling with.

At the end, it went from a very basic and simple look to, well, this:
It's totally a major revamp!
The dress design is based primarily off of one dress I found that I thought would be perfect; everything else is a mix of little bits and pieces of other Goth-related fashion and such, like, the triangle piercing, that weird make-up thing underneath her eye, that black collar, a skull belt buckle, and the steel-toe-looking boots.
With the dress color, I used like three different variants of black and darkened the shade of purple. I like to see you try and spot which blacks are different.
In terms of physical appearance, I just darkened her hair and used a lighter skin tone. I'm still playing with the skin tone here, so that's not set yet.

Came out very Gothic, right?