Friday, June 7, 2013

Free Time Galore

Not a whole lot of people know this, but I have a ton of free time after the last bell rings.
That's the exact reason why I usually develop characters, series, and stories with high details, which speaking of characters, character development!

Now I just Googled and found this, and after looking at all the questions, I could say that I could answer most of them with 99.99% of all my characters, which is a good thing since I kind of follow this exact structure.
See, when I create a character, I think of it as creating an actual human being; I go very deeply and focus on extremely small details, like how God would create a human being. That might sound a little extreme, I understand, but look at the title of the post, son.
I also follow big details, but the point is that the character has to be believable, which I can't say I'm an expert at this since I'm the only person I know that does this kind of activity that I find fun to do with my time, so I never really have any feedback. I usually focus on their personalities, appearance, the activities they like to do, what they like, what they don't like, yadda yadda yadda; all of that stuff.

The characters that appear on the Doji Pocket banner have been created about four years ago and are still in development. If I described them, they might sound very polished (to me, at least), but I think this kind of process is alive. What I mean is that things change. Details are added, dropped, change the concept, mold into another concept; I can't say my characters stayed just as they were four years ago.
With that amount of time, I do care deeply about my characters, like as if they're my own children. It sounds a bit weird, but it's true. That's probably because when I created this group of characters, I created them a little differently than how I currently create characters now. With this group, I divided my own personalities and interests and spread it in the cast; so technically, if you mash them all up, I'm the result, heh heh.

It's amazing how the changes and appearances of these characters are visible, starting from the start of my first completed sketchbook, all the way to the end of my second sketchbook. You can actually see the changes over the years. I can't say anything about recent characters, but they're still in a working progress; I do try to focus on a lot of details, but I just don't work on them as closely as I did with my first set of characters.
I guess the drive for closely developed characters came to me since I wasn't that much of a social person at the beginning of high school; the start of high school can be a scary experience for some people, which I can understand.

I created those characters because I came up with a series that was heavily influenced by Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the Regular Show. The original title was "Summer Vacation," but after a theatrical film, it transitions to a school setting, so the name is out. I found out slowly that I really suck at coming up with titles, with is kind of ironic since usually, the title is created and the story is yet to be created, which in my case, it's always the exact opposite.
Don't I sound like I was creating this for TV? I have a lot more ideas for TV series and theatrical films, but I'll get to that later.

But seriously, give me all the time in the world and I can't even come up with an awesome title for something. I hate it. So much.
Also, in other news, results for that planner cover contest I told you about a while ago will be announced next week. I'm kind of excited about it, but thinking back at it, I feel like didn't really put much effort to my entry since the loss last year. I guess that means I should enter more contests like this. I usually don't like to enter these kinda of contests, but I can tell that some of my teachers that know I can draw really good really encouraged me to enter. I did it with a "Eh, why not?" kind of attitude, but I'm still kind of optimistic about it.

TL;DR
I develop characters with extreme detail and results for a contest are next week