Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Class of 2422 Logo Redesign - Final Design

Hey hey hey! I finally completed the Class of 2422 character line-up! I'm totally ecstatic with the end results!

BUT!
Before I get into that story, we have to go into this story...

Part of the update for this project was to not only update the character line-up, but to also revamp/redo the logo for Class of 2422. Below is the previous design:
At the time of completing this, I was really proud of how this came out. Heck, I still think it looks kinda cool. However, as more time passed I started feeling "ehh" towards the design. I started to feel there was a bit too much going on in its design, such as the gradient in the "2422," the design on the blue rectangle, the white stars on the side of the words, and the typeface for the word "class."

Even during the process of this initial design, I really struggled with the typeface for "class" and "2422;" I ended up creating the design rather than using an already existing font, but then even I wasn't too big of a fan of how it came out.
One of my biggest issue was how "rectangular" the design is. Like it's so square! A boring shape! A boring silhouette!

I wanted the new updated design to be cleaner, simpler, and have a more interesting shape language. I'm sure you have already seen an earlier post where I posted different rough designs, right? I gives an idea of what direction I want to end up with.




And I got something good!
Check out the new revamped logo for "Class of 2422!"
It's more of a flatter design, but it works! I had a ton of reference pictures of 1950s shape designs, elements, and store signs to go through and I was diggin' those boomerang and triangle shapes. Those shapes worked out in my favor in this case because since Class of 2422 is a love story, the boomerang/triangle shapes here is arranged to resemble an arrow going through a heart.
The typeface for "class" and "2422" is something I can finally live with. I really wanted to use existing fonts, but a lot of them were not set to use for free commercially, so I created this weird simple-looking font that's a mix of different design elements from 1950s typefaces.

I also went ahead and created an alternate version of the logo. In some of my references, the shapes had an outline that were misaligned with the inner color and I thought that looked really neat.
I like this design as well, but I'll be using the first iteration for everything.
Ultimately, I'm very happy with the end result of this design!

The next upcoming post will be the finished character line-up for Class of 2422! Look forward to that!