Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Mario's Power Moon Illustration (Inktober)

The next Inktober drawing I chose to do was for the topic "found." For that day, I drew Mario finding a Power Moon. At the time, Super Mario Odyssey was just released, and I was completely hooked! I thought it would be fitting if I drew a scene of Mario discovering a moon.
I've always enjoyed the 2D Mario art style (which now I believe it was a heavy influence to my style), and I've noticed that the artwork is done with Adobe Illustrator, so I thought it'd be fitting if I did the artwork with Illustrator.

I drew/colored Mario and the Power Moon in Illustrator, while I did the line art for both the fore/background elements in Illustrator and colored it in Photoshop. Below is the result!
Personally, I really love how this one came out. I've never really used Illustrator to create artwork like this before, but the process was definitely a learning experience.
Well, I did recreate the Ketchup Man artwork with Illustrator, but that was more easier and a straightforward process compared to this one.

Nevertheless, I think it's a pretty neat recreation and tribute to the 2D Mario art style and Odyssey game in general.