Friday, August 21, 2026

3D Background Models Preview

Hey hey! Back from another long disappearance! Busy busy, as usual.

I'm still working on my upcoming "Austin & Jennifer" comic book, and at this point in time I have a complete rough cut of the whole book which can be read from start to finish. Before I start the final line art, there were some background shots I roughly sketched in that definitely has to be fixed for the final line art.

Instead of guessing the perspective of those shots while drawing, I went ahead and took up learning the basics of Blender, a free 3D modeling program, and created basic models of the different environments featured in the comic.

I made a list of all the different environments, and just a few days ago I finally finished going through the entire list!
With that, I wanted to show off a preview of the end results:


Sure, there's no colors and lighting here, but the main purpose is to have a 3D set so that I can angle the camera view to my liking, snap a screenshot, and trace over said screenshot to get the perfect perspective of whatever shots I have in the comic.

Blender was a bit of a learning curve, but that curve wasn't too steep since I had taken classes on Maya, another 3D modeling program, some years ago, so it more of a matter of "translating" my knowledge of the Maya program with Blender.

There's still so much about Blender (and 3D modeling in general) that I'd like to learn more about and put into practice some day. If I ever get back into making animations and learn the grease pencil tool in Blender, I can probably make some killer-looking 2D animations!

My previous post mentioned that I was hoping for a 2026 release, but that's not gonna happen. I'm not gonna make any promises as to when the comic will be released since it's difficult to juggle between a dead-end job, GE classes, and just living a life overall.
I'm going to wait until I have enough progress to guesstimate a release window.

And with that, back I go into the unknown!