Friday, October 11, 2013

Doodlin' 'round

Okay, this might be the first time I posted an actual drawing after a while.

Around last night, I wanted to draw characters in another style. It's like I'm stubborn enough to draw only in my cartoon style. I drew up this character and decided to redraw him again and again, just because I like how he came out.
This is that character, colored:
The background was a cheap doodle, but this is the guy. He doesn't have a name, but I call him "Trevor." (It's not his name, but that's what I call him. Confusing, right?)

I've gotta say, seeing him in color in my mind and coloring him out with the colors I imagined on him are two totally different things. I can see now that yellow eye pupils does look kind of "out there," but hey, it's good to try some new things out.
When I let a friend of mine check out the black and white doodles of this guy, he said it looks kinda of like an anime due to the eyes; when he brought that up, that's when I kind of noticed what he saw. As of right now, I see it 25% anime-ish, and 75% cartoon. Maybe it does or doesn't to you; that's just my personal preference.

Then I noticed something. Now before I mention what I noticed, let me just say that, this usually happens a lot of the times when I randomly come up with a character. Not all the time, but I feel like it's enough that I have to bring it up.

So then I noticed something. This guy...looked an awful lot like...
QUOTE. Man, I was totally ticked off at my unconsciousness at these kinds of things. Like seriously. After I noticed this detail, I decided that I should scrap the character right then and there because, in my book, it's almost like I'm copying. I try to aim at coming up with something new, but something like this happening, I can't control; it's all in the unconsciousness of my mind. Now of course, just changing the appearance would be one hell of a simple solution, but I like how "Trevor" came out :3

Ahh, oh well. I really don't have any plans for Trevor anyways.