Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Color Testing

If you don't remember, I've gone back and redesigned some of my trademark characters that I've been using for about five years at this point. You know what they looked like since you've seen them all the live long days, or whenever I've posted any cartoon drawings from my sketchbook.
However, redesigning the look is one thing, but coloring is another. Now, I didn't totally redesign anything major (except Jake's entire look); this redesigning I mentioned only focused on the characters' attire since they've been sporting boring ol' T-shirt and pants/skirt combo, so today I wanted to share the new looks on three characters:
From left to right: Danielle, Daisy, and Jake.

Okay, so with Danielle, she originally had an orange long sleeved shirt with a long white skirt. After testing a ton, and I mean a ton, of different looks and styles, I decided that a white sundress suits her very perfectly. However, I'm deciding if a white or an orange colored sundress works since I'm still on the old idea that orange should be incorporated in her color palette.

With Daisy, she originally had a rose red sundress with a dark grey belt. Working on her's and Danny's design actually resulted in a funny realization.
I tried extremely hard to make some sort of shirt and skirt combo work for Danielle, while I tried to make a new sundress look work for Daisy, and then I had the craziest epiphany to swap their looks, so now the sundress look suited Danielle perfectly, and the shirt n' skirt combo suited Daisy perfectly! I'm still amazed by how it all worked out by doing that. Like seriously, you have no idea.
Other than that, I shortened her hair length by a bit and I'm still experimenting if she would have some sort of design on her shirt.

And now with Jake, I had to change his entire look and attire. His original look simply looked too generic for my tastes and I wanted every character in the cast to look unique from each other. I gave him a messier look and shortened his hair and for his attire, he went from having a long sleeved shirt and pants to short sleeved shirt and shorts; it kind of suits him.

The coloring is pretty much finalized at this point, but I'm still playing around with different color options as you can see on top of their heads. I know I don't usually color drawings, but at least you can now visualize how these characters look like whenever I post another black and white drawing.